Urge Congress to ensure low-income kids have healthy snacksEarly Childhood Education Nutrition
We believe that no child in our nation should go hungry, and every child should have access to healthy and nutritious food. That’s why we’re working to expand the Child and Adult Care Food Program as Congress considers Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization legislation that supports school meals and other lifechanging investments.
The Child and Adult Care Food Program would provide low-income children with an extra healthy snack or meal if they are in daycare for longer than eight hours a day. One snack simply isn’t enough to fill a child’s tummy for the entire day. This program makes sure that America’s youngest and most vulnerable have the nutrition they need to grow and thrive.
We need your help. The Senate is moving quickly, and we need to make sure they expand the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
Will you join us in ensuring that low-income children in daycare get enough nutritious food to grow and thrive? It’s easy!
Step 1. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to one of your state’s senators.
Step 2. Once you’re connected, please identify yourself as a constituent.
Step 3. Tell your senator’s staff that you would like the senator to include the Child and Adult Care Food Program in the Child Nutrition Reauthorization. You can use this script as a guide:
I am calling today to ask Senator ___ to make sure that the Child and Adult Care Food Program’s additional snack provision is included in the upcoming Child Nutrition Reauthorization. One snack just isn’t enough to keep a child full during the day, and the extra snack can help support healthy child development.
Step 4. Call back and ask to be connected to your other senator.
You can also use social media to urge your senator to include the additional snack provision in the upcoming child nutrition reauthorization. Here are some sample tweets. Be sure to add in your senators’ Twitter handles.
- I support healthy snacks for hungry kids, pls expand the Child and Adult Care Food Program #CNR16 #InvestInKids
- Senator, please #InvestInKids and expand the Child and Adult Care Food Program #CNR16
Urge Congress to ensure low-income kids have healthy snacks: http://bit.ly/1RMtwnY @Campaign4Kids It only takes a min. to #InvestInKids
Tweet this now.
Do you share our vision of making America a better place to be a child and raise a family? Then you should be a part of The Children’s Network, a movement led by individuals, non-profit organizations, and businesses committed to the health, education, and well-being of children in the United States.Become a part of the network and receive exclusive materials, updates, and opportunities to take action on behalf of our children.
First Focus Campaign for Children is a bipartisan organization advocating to making children and families the priority in federal policy and budget decisions. You can support our work by making a donation or joining The Children’s Network to receive updates and action alerts.
You may also like
- C-A-C-F-P: What it means for our youngest kids
- Comments on Proposed Child and Adult Care Food Program Rule
- New Report Highlights Costs of Food Insecurity for Kids
- Congress Takes a Step Back in Fight to Reduce Childhood Hunger
- Obama administration moves to fight child hunger
- Are you hungry? Pediatricians want to know
- The importance of federal child nutrition programs for our children
- Stop the Block: Proposed Block Grants of School Meals Programs Put Hungry Kids at Risk
- Kids Return to School and a Healthier Lunchroom
- Providing Summer Meals to Low-Income Families with Children