Communications Intern, Summer
Summer Semester Deadline: March 31
The Communications Intern works with the communications team to support communications efforts related to our federal policy agenda. College students with a concentration in communications, public relations, and an interest in children’s advocacy are encouraged to apply.
This is a paid, part-time position based in Washington, D.C. and requires a minimum of 20 hours per week. First Focus will work with the student and university to ensure any necessary paperwork and evaluations are completed as part of a student’s internship program curriculum. Flexible scheduling.
- Media pitching
- Researching ideas and writing posts for Voices for Kids, the First Focus blog
- Supporting digital advocacy activities
- Drafting emails and other outreach materials
- Special events assistance and support
- Copy-editing and formatting documents
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in policy that supports children and families
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational skills
- A self-starter; willing to seek out opportunities
- Familiarity with social media and third-party digital advocacy tools
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter, resume, and three kinds of writing samples (blog post, published news piece and/or social media content) to Meg Biallas at email@example.com. Please specify “First Focus Communications Intern” in the subject line.
Spring Term: October 31
Summer Term: March 31
Fall Term: July 31