Measuring the Well-Being of Our Children
Expired event. For reference only.
8:30 am - 10:00 am
This briefing was hosted by Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), and the Congressional Children’s Caucus in cooperation with First Focus and the Foundation for Child Development (FCD), to explore the 2013 FCD Child Well-Being Index (CWI). The CWI tracks 28 Key Indicators of the quality-of-life of America’s children across seven Domains: Family Economic Well-Being, Safe/Risky Behavior, Social Relationships, Emotional/Spiritual Well-Being, Community Engagement, Educational Attainment, and Health. The panel discussed comprehensive long-term trends since 1975 and Congress’s role in improving the well-being of children.
- Mark Bogosian, Communications and Program Officer, Foundation for Child Development
- Kenneth C. Land, John Franklin Crowell Professor of Sociology and Faculty Director, Center for Population, Health, and Aging, Duke University (Presentation)
- Liz Ryan, President and Chief Executive Officer, Campaign for Youth Justice (Presentation)
- Dave Schrandt, Homeless Liaison, Cypress-Fairbanks School District, Texas
- Bruce Lesley, President, First Focus (Presentation)