Director, Digital Strategy
The Director, Digital Strategy, is a creative and savvy self-starting professional who can effectively communicate the value, impact and importance of making children and families a priority in federal policy and budget decisions across a variety of digital channels. The Director, Digital Strategy, will report to the Vice President of Communications and work closely with the President to develop, implement and coordinate all elements of First Focus on Children’s digital communications strategy including website maintenance and development, social media management, digital grassroots partner engagement, external email communications, and content strategy. He/she will work to ensure proper representation, brand positioning, and messaging in all digital channels.
Websites and Social Media Management:
- Create, implement and evaluate strategies for web and social media outreach
- Create and execute a community-building strategy across social channels
- Manage a portfolio of eight Twitter accounts, two Facebook properties, and a collection of associated web sites
- Identify appropriate digital engagement opportunities such as Twitter chats and guest blogging opportunities, recommending strategic partnerships, cross-promotion and publicity opportunities
- Connect digital communications with media outreach, identifying opportunities to engage with the media online
- Manage planning and implementation for web and social media around key annual events including Children’s Week, Children’s Budget Summit, Congressional briefings
- Create social media kits to appeal to advocacy audiences, Congressional contacts and coalition partners
- Collaborate with policy staff to effectively communicate complex legislation via explainers on social media and in website resources
- Collaborate with social media contacts at partner organizations to launch and grow multi-organization campaigns
- Guide, shape and implement design, brand and marketing materials for print and digital collateral
- Identify content opportunities for email communications to advocacy networks, supporters and partners
- Design and send emails through email marketing software
- Curate, engage with, and grow email campaign lists
- Build online engagement centers for advocacy (letters to Congress, petitions, emails, etc.).
- Draft and format action alerts
- Engage and maintain relationships with existing supporters and update supporters when legislation is moving
- Recruit new grassroots supporters and help grow network
- Format content for website, infographics, social media, blogs, fact sheets and reports
- Draft and design engaging web content including blog posts and graphics
- Develop brand guidelines to ensure consistency across platforms and documents
- Work with outside vendors as necessary
Event Management and Marketing :
- Identify opportunities to promote upcoming organization events with grassroots advocates and coalition partners
- Manage technological logistics for organizational events such as Congressional briefings
- Assist policy team in planning events for effective audience engagement and digital amplification
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a similar field, and two to five years of relevant experience working in digital communication.
- Experience with a CMS (WordPress Preferred), CRM, social media, and email service providers (for instance, Mailjet, Mailchimp, Constant Contact)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, notably InDesign and Illustrator
- HTML and CSS experience highly desired
- Excellent copy editing, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills
- Online fundraising experience a plus.
- Knowledge of AP style a plus
- Must be highly-organized, self-motivated, a team player and thrive in a dynamic political environment
Please submit a statement of interest (cover letter) and resume to email@example.com.