Media Relations Director
The Media Relations Director is a vital part of the communications team that leads the organization’s efforts to secure media coverage of its advocacy effort and federal children’s issues. Key responsibilities include working with First Focus policy staff to translate advocacy activities into press releases, media statements, and commentaries, tracking news coverage of the organization, and working alongside the organization’s Director of Digital Strategy to develop and execute long-term communications plans.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Media Relations Director reports to the President.
The First Focus Media Relations Director is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s media outreach including regular interface with national media and the positioning of First Focus as a resource with health and education trade media.
- Collaborate with First Focus team and the Director of Digital Strategy and to refine media objectives and outreach strategy
- Guide day-to-day development of press/media activities, including logging and sharing press clips
- Coordinate the development of the media activities in accordance with objectives and budget
- Pitch stories to media
- Handle incoming media requests, including preparing staff for interviews, and press engagements
- Oversee media relations and support at events
- Develops communications/press materials including press releases and media alerts
- Manage media service vendor relationships
- Manage press conferences, editorial board meetings, and media events
Education, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor and/or Master’s degree with 2-5 years experience in media relations, public relations, public affairs, communications, or related areas
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects in a deadline-driven, highly dedicated environment
- Experience developing communications plans, budget management, and forecasting
- Training in writing, editing, and publications management preferred, along with an ability to collaborate on and articulate a communications strategy, craft written plans when needed, and measure and present effective ROI
- Cision, HTML, and design experience a bonus
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.