Media Relations Director
The Media Relations Director leads the organization’s efforts to secure news media coverage of its advocacy effort and federal children’s issues. Key responsibilities include working with First Focus policy staff to translate advocacy activities into press releases, media statements, and commentaries, tracking news coverage of the organization, and coordinating with the organization’s Senior Director for Digital Communications. Prior media relations experience and familiarity with routine Capitol Hill legislative processes are preferred, and salary is commensurate with experience. The Media Relations Director reports to the President.
The First Focus Media Relations Director is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s media outreach including regular interface with national media and the positioning of First Focus as a resource with health and education trade media.
- Collaborate with First Focus team and the Director of Digital Strategy and to refine media objectives and outreach strategy
- Guides day-to-day development of press/media activities
- Coordinates the development of the media activities in accordance with objectives and budget
- Pitches stories to media
- Handles incoming media requests, including preparing staff for interviews and press engagements
- Oversee all media support at events
- Develops communications/press materials including press releases, fact sheets, and media alerts
- Oversees and recommend media services/suppliers and with manages media service vendor relationships
- Coordinates and oversees all press conferences, editorial board meetings and media events.
- Conduct research to support First Focus messaging and communications
Education, Skills, Abilities:
Bachelor and/or Master’s degree with two to five years experience in media relations, public relations, public affairs, community and corporate relations or related areas. Experience working on Capitol Hill preferred. Ability to successfully manage multiple projects in a deadline-driven, highly dedicated environment. Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to motivate and lead others in the development, direction and execution of projects/campaigns. Experience developing marketing plans, financial reporting, budget management and forecasting.
Specialized training in writing, editing, and publications management preferred. Cision and HTML experience a bonus.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.